Middle School - Summer Reading Program
Reading is an important skill that benefits the reader in so many
ways. Students who read year-round are able to increase reading
comprehension, reading levels, and critical thinking skills. HCA has
established required summer reading programs for the benefit of
students in Middle School.
All students entering 6th, 7th, or 8th grade in August 2015 are required to read the book designated below for their grade and complete a HCA MS Book Report Form (PDF).
- 6th Grade: Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo (yes, you may also see the movie)
- 7th Grade: Old Yeller by Fred Gipson
- 8th Grade: War Horse by Michael Morpurgo
- Use the HCA MS Book Report Form (PDF) and identify the following:
✓Setting (where action takes place)
✓Characters (people/animals that take part in the action)
✓Plot (what happens)
✓Conflict and Resolution (the problem or trouble the characters experience and how it is solved by the end)
- Bring the book report on the first day of school and turn it in to your Language Arts teacher.
This is NOT an optional assignment! Reading is fun
and fundamental. For those who love to read, please don’t stop with
just one book!! Continue the journey of reading all summer long.